The Synergy of Chiropractic & Nutrition
Why does your Chiropractor suggest taking supplements along with Chiropractic treatments? Simple… for better results! Nutrition and supplementation is often used in tandem by Chiropractors, Doctors, Naturopaths and other healthcare industry professionals to assist in treating illness while promoting overall wellness in patients.
So, how does it work? Our Chiropractors will base their expert recommendation(s) off a wealth of knowledge collected during the assessment / treatment process that focuses on the unique bio-chemistry each patient has.
Once this information is collected and evaluated, an individually tailored nutrition / supplementation program will be recommended (if needed) by one of our Chiropractors to assist in restoring physiological, structural and psychological balance within the body.
This, of course, is paired with a comprehensive Chiropractic treatment plan to make sure your body is working optimally and that your body will be able to absorb these nutrients.
Part #1: Chiropractic Care
You may think that Chiropractic Care is all about fixing a sore back or neck. While it definitely helps treat several musculoskeletal conditions, it can also assist with so much more!
Your nervous system is responsible for allowing all parts of your body to communicate with one another. From blinking and breathing to running or sitting, its your nerves in the spinal column and extremity joints which are responsible for transmitting these messages from the brain to your body and back again.
If your roadways are blocked, how will traffic start to flow again at an optimal pace? Let’s just say that when your communication system isn’t working optimally, neither will your digestive system. Your ability to absorb nutrients and adapt to stresses may be compromised.
A weakened digestive system can result in several different conditions including, but not limited to:
- Weight loss
- Thyroid issues
- Hormonal imbalance
- Chronic fatigue
- Repeated infections
This is why it’s critical you restore function in your nervous system. Chiropractic care can help accomplish this by adjusting areas with “subluxations” to restore alignment and keep those nerves working optimally.
Once your body is working optimally, so should your digestive system. That means the absorption of essential vitamins and minerals should happen at an optimal rate and you’ll be better equipped to take on supplements with full benefits as well.
Part #2: Nutrition
Many Chiropractors believe in drug-free, holistic methods of treatment, with nutrition being one of those. As a matter of fact, the Canadian Chiropractic Association (CCA) states that “…[Canadian] Chiropractors are trained to provide dietary, lifestyle and therapeutic exercise counseling to address specific patient complaints and to enhance overall health.”
Chiropractors receive several classes in biochemistry, nutrition and physiology as part of their core curriculum in Canada. Many continue with their own learning after graduating as a Doctor of Chiropractic and are well prepared to give you expert nutritional advice on what may help you recover from a specific condition or problem you’re experiencing.
Some key points on good nutrition and its correlation with recovery from various health issues:
- Good nutrition supports recovery from injury – a diet rich in lean protein, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory foods can help reduce swelling and provide your cells with the building blocks they need to repair soft tissues.
- Supplements can help us meet our nutritional needs and mitigate the effects of several chronic diseases – no matter what stage of life you’re in, a combination of Chiropractic care and supplementation can help get you back onto the road towards health.
- Good nutrition can reduce fatigue and increase overall energy – stay away from foods that are processed, have added sugar or contain preservatives as these can leave you feeling fatigued, irritable and tired.
- Good nutrition can help reduce back, neck and joint pain – losing unhealthy weight can help reduce the stress load experienced by various joints of your body and help to reduce pain and other symptoms.
- Good nutrition can give you an overall heightened sense of health – feeling good and looking good are obvious side effects of eating healthy daily.
Dr. John Battershill and Dr. Keith Belliveau both have lots of experience in the field of nutrition. On a daily basis they make nutrition and supplement recommendations to patients as part of all-encompassing treatment plans and have seen great success in many cases!
Supplements at Revelation Health Centre have been selected by merits of purity, quality and value to our practice members and patients. These supplement manufacturers hold themselves to the highest standard of guaranteed quality and purity.
Book Your Chiropractic & Nutrition Assessment Today
Call us anytime at 403-284-2082 or send us a message below for a quick, if not immediate response during regular office hours. See Revelation Health’s Office Hours, Location and Contact Information here.
We are looking forward to helping you accomplish your personal health goals!