Chiropractic Care: Sports Injuries, Prevention & Treatment
We often hear about Calgary athletes suffering from some kind of sports injury, one that could be caused by:
- blunt force trauma
- over-extension / weakness of the soft tissues
- illness that has weakened the body all together
- degenerative health condition
- lack of nutrition and healthy lifestyle
- Inappropriate training methods
- a combination of any of the above
Whatever the cause may be, sports injuries are a reality that Calgary athletes participating in all levels, from beginner to amateur to professional, will likely have to deal with at some point in their careers.
Fortunately, most of the time with proper preparation and equipment, Calgary athletes can prevent most of these sports injuries from occurring. However, they do still happen, sometimes when they are least expected and often need some form of medical treatment to heal.
A concussion is a good example of a type of sports injury some athletes sustain but don’t even know it because they don’t play contact sports. But did you know you don’t even need to be hit in the head to sustain a concussion?
- Also see these 5 Things You Didn’t Know About Concussions
- Also see these 10 Examples of Sports Concussions in Pro-Sports
Sports Injuries in Canada: By the Numbers
Statistics Canada findings from a community health survey performed between 2009 and 2010:
- 66 percent of adolescent injuries in Canada at the time were in fact sports injuries
- 47 percent of injuries among working-age adults (ages 15 to 64) were a result of sports and / or work
- People aged 12 to 19 were the most likely to be injured, many of whom are involved in sports-related activities
- 35 percent of injuries in Canada happened during sports related exercise of competition
- Nearly 50 percent of adolescent injuries happened due to falls, and 60 percent of those falls occurred during sports activities
Chiropractic Treatment of Sports Injuries
In Canada, chiropractors have a lengthy history of treating athletes of all levels and from all types of sports. Doctors of chiropractic are trained to assess, diagnose and treat sports injuries as part of their core learning objectives in university education.
Receiving an in-depth physical examination and sharing your physical history with your chiropractor can help them to determine the cause of symptoms such as pain and create a treatment plan to begin managing the dysfunction found in your body.
Some of the methods of treatment involved in your plan may include:
- Adjustment, mobilization and manipulation of the joints and muscles
- Soft tissue release therapy
- Use of specialized devices such as cold lasers, adjusters and massagers
- Use of advanced medical machinery that requires input to help you create a healthy output
- Individualized exercises prescribed for at home and / or in the office
- Recommendations on how to change your lifestyle to help with healing
- Nutritional and supplementation recommendations
See Revelation Health Centre Chiropractic & Wellness Clinic’s Services for a full list today.
Prevention of Sports Injuries
You’ll often hear that chiropractic care is a preventative form of treatment for many types of health conditions. The same goes for sports injuries; if you’re better aligned with a better functioning nervous system while playing sports, the chances of your risk of injury are reduced.
Revelation Health Centre’s team of chiropractors firmly believe in preventative treatments to help reduce the occurrence of sports injuries.
- Learn more at 5 Reasons Why Athletes Rely on Chiropractic Care
Because chiropractic care is fully natural and approaches injury in a holistic way, it’s a popular form of treatment for a wide variety of sports injuries for athletes across the world.
If you’re currently suffering from a sports injury in Calgary and are looking to get better, faster, our team of chiropractors have what it takes to help you get on the road to recovery.
Dr. John Battershill, D.C. & Ex-CFL Player
Dr. John at Revelation Health Centre has over 30 years of experience in treating sports injuries in Calgary. As an ex Toronto Argonaut and Calgary Stampeder, he was motivated to become a chiropractor because of the brutal injuries he and his friends sustained during their careers.
Today, he enjoys helping athletes of all skill levels, including some at the professional level, recover from their sports injuries in an efficient and timely manner.
Dr. Keith Belliveau, D.C. & Athlete
As a long-time sports enthusiast and athlete, Dr. Keith is passionate about helping people recover from sports injuries.
His experiences as part of the Life West Gladiators rugby team (USA Rugby National Champions – Div.II) combined with training in sports chiropractic has translated into a broad base of clinical knowledge that he uses to help patients who are suffering from sports injuries recover as fast as possible.
Book Your Chiropractic Sports Injury Assessment Today
Call us anytime at 403-284-2082 or message us below and we will book you in at your earliest convenience. See RHC’s Office Hours, Location and Contact Information here.
We are looking forward to helping you accomplish your personal health goals!